A healthy breakfast really can set the stage for healthier eating all day long. The right foods in the morning can provide the energy you need to power through until lunch and reduce those mid-morning cravings.
Despite breakfast often being recognised as the most important meal of the day, research conducted by Nutrition Research Australia has reported that 18.9% of young adults aged 14-18 regularly skip breakfast, with this increasing to 21.2% of adults aged 19-30.
The foods you eat for breakfast can affect how you feel and perform throughout your morning. Enjoying a healthy breakfast each day can:
- Keep you fuelled up until your next meal or snack. A well-balanced breakfast should provide you with protein to help satisfy hunger, and high fibre foods help to fill you up.
- Supply your body and brain with energy. When you eat the right foods for breakfast, you’re providing your body with the fuel it needs for optimal performance.
- Help avoid blood sugar swings and reduce cravings.
- Help you make better food choices throughout the day by reducing cravings for unhealthy foods.
A balanced breakfast should provide you with a decent amount of protein (20-30 grams is a good target). This helps satisfy hunger and supports muscle health, and along with some healthy carbohydrates can provide sustained energy and fibre. Carbohydrates should include, at the very least, some fruits or vegetables.
10 Healthy Breakfast suggestions to jump start your day:
- Cook some fresh or frozen spinach in the microwave, top with scrambled eggs or egg whites and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, fresh fruit on the side.
- Plain non-fat or low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese topped with fresh fruit and cinnamon, or chopped raw vegetables and some fresh black pepper.
- Rolled oats prepared with milk or soy milk; stir in Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix and fruit after cooking.
- Corn tortillas, spread with black beans; top with grated low-fat cheese and salsa; fresh fruit.
- Whole grain toast spread with avocado and topped with slices of turkey breast; fresh fruit.
- Scramble extra-firm tofu, drained, crumbled in a little olive oil with fresh vegetables and herbs; fresh fruit.
- Whole grain crackers spread with non-fat ricotta cheese and topped with sliced berries.
- Smoked salmon on a toasted whole-grain English muffin; fresh fruit.
- Leftovers: whole grains, protein and veggies make a great breakfast.
- Herbalife Nutrition Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix, made with low-fat or soy milk and fruit.