Does your pooch love to feel the wind blow through their fur during a road trip and enjoy breathtaking views? Do they love to immerse themselves in a culinary adventure where they can sniff, swill and sample delectable treats? New YouGov Galaxy research commissioned by Booking.com, the global leader in connecting travellers with the widest range of incredible places to stay, has found 78% of Australian pet owners put their furry friends first when booking a holiday. Based on this research, Booking.com has launched a quest to find Australia’s most travel-savvy pet to help animal-loving holidaymakers pick their next getaway destination.
In this new role, one lucky pup will be given a new leash on life with the world’s most novel job: Booking.com’s world-first ‘Canine Travel Advisor’. The ultimate candidate will be pawsitively passionate about travelling the globe and will require in-depth knowledge of the best wide-open spaces, sun bathing spots and holiday hotspots.
The search begins as research has found 40% of Australians feel guilty leaving their pet behind when going on holiday, with Millennials leading the trend. 93% of Aussie millennials miss their pets throughout their break, and more than one in three go as far to say they miss their fur baby all day, every day! When it comes to choosing a travel buddy, nearly three quarters of Australian pet owners (70%) said they would prefer to travel with their pet, rather than their partner or mate. It’s no wonder they have long been known as a man’s best friend!
Luke Wilson, Area manager for Booking.com Australia said:
“The research clearly shows there is an appetite amongst Australians to enjoy holiday experiences with their pets. That’s why we have created a ‘Pet Pawtal’ to assist pet owners in finding accommodation options. With more than 26% of our 28 million listings around the world being pet friendly, travellers are spoiled for choice when it comes to choosing a getaway with their furry friend.”
Top reasons why Aussies love travelling with their pets:
- Pets can be better companions as they don’t complain (38%) or argue (34%)
- Women in particular (42%) like the fact that their pet doesn’t complain when on holiday, unlike a partner or friend.
- One in four (24%) say they have more fun with their pet than they do with a partner of friend when on holiday
- Leading the pack, dog owners (78%) are more likely than cat owners (59%) to love having their pet on holiday with them
- 46% feel it’s a nice change for the pet too
- It forces holiday goers to go for walks and be more active (31%) while others have noticed people are friendlier towards them (20%)
- Additionally, Aussies believe pampering their pooch is key when booking a holiday with:
- 39% seeking a plush bed for their pet
- 33% in search for pet food services
- 27% on the hunt for a pet club for necessary puppy play time
Source: YouGovGalaxy, April 2019, commissioned by Booking.com
Enter to Win!
For those who believe it’s time for their pet to start earning their keep, pet owners can nominate their pawsome pooch to be Booking.com’s World-first Canine Travel Advisor by visiting the Pet Pawtal here Booking.com/PetPawtal
In 150 words or less tell Booking.com why should appoint your Pawsome Pet as the World’s First Canine Travel Advisor, helping animal-loving holidaymakers pick their next holiday. Share a photo of your pooch which represents a typical day in their well-travelled life (i.e. looking up accommodation or in a suitcase ready to head off on a trip away). Submissions close 12 May, Winner to be announced 17 May. Terms and Conditions Apply.
Note: All figures above, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 1028 adults. Fieldwork commenced on Monday 1 April and was completed on Tuesday 2 April 2019. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).