Did you know that 2 billion razors are thrown out every year in America? I know they may seem like very small pieces of plastic that won’t harm the environment much but they can add up very quickly in landfills.
Let’s face it, when it comes to hair removal it’s something that none of us really look forward too and it is usually the last thing on our ‘to-do’ list, so opting for a razor at the last minute before we go out is pretty common. However, relying on this method of hair removal can be doing much more harm than you think.
Did you know that 2 billion razors are thrown out every year in America? I know they may seem like very small pieces of plastic that won’t harm the environment much but they can add up very quickly in landfills. 32 percent of plastic products end up in the ocean. IPL home kits, like Selfie Skin are becoming increasingly more popular as solutions around convenience, price, health and environmental impact and show how our product is the better option.
Considering that the average person shaves 2 to 3 times per week and a disposable razor lasts for approximately 10 shaves, each person who shaves with disposable razors replaces them about every 5 or 6 weeks. Multiply those numbers by each person of shaving age and several hundred thousand disposable razors get used each year and, most likely, get thrown away.
Laser is rapidly becoming a more preferred treatment as of late and for good reason, because after several treatments many people would be able to claim to be (practically) hair free. Laser hair removal uses a single wavelength of light to target, heat and damage hair follicles. It can treat large areas, including your back and legs as well as more delicate areas. Most people need 3-6 treatments to get the hair out of ‘growing phase’. It essentially works to destroy hair follicles, reducing the amount and density of the hair that grows back.
While going to laser clinics can get costly, handsets are now becoming available in Australia, allowing you to do your treatment from the comfort of your own home.
Additional facts on hair removal options:
- Shaving Cream: Our skin is our largest organ and anything absorbed through it goes directly into our bloodstream. This includes personal- care products which often contain thousands of different chemicals with varying toxicity. The Environmental Working Group estimates that about 20 percent of chemicals used in cosmetics could cause cancer. Yet these cancer- causing toxins are given a free pass. Ref
- Waxing: Waxing can cause damage to the skin, even if you can’t see it. In addition to ripping your hair out by the roots, it has also been known to cause STIs, infections, burns, infected in-grown hair and scarring. Ref
- Hair removal cream: Contains harsh chemicals that essentially melt the hair away by breaking down its natural structure. Both hair and skin are made of the same proteins and amino acids, however hair breaks down much quicker than skin, making it possible to remove hair without removing skin. Side effects can include skin irritation, allergic reaction and lingering chemical smell. Ref
- Razors: Not only do they become costly overtime, but the EPA estimates that 2 billion razors are thrown away each year in the US, with around 32% ending up in the ocean instead of landfill. The vast dump of plastic waste swirling in the Pacific ocean is now bigger then France, Germany and Spain combined, and is growing rapidly according to a study published on March 22, 2018. Ref
- Laser: Laser Clinics are certainly a more environmentally friendly way of removing hair, plus after the initial treatments, the hair removal lasts longer however it can become expensive due to the number of treatments one may need and awkward.
The Selfie Skin IPL Hair Removal Handset is available for $189.99 RRP.
To learn more visit https://selfieskin.com.au